History Of District Kabirdham:-

                                            Excluding Tehsil Kawardha from District Rajnandgaon and Tehsil Pandariya from District Bilaspur then government of Madhya Pardesh by notification No:- K41-F-20.08.2002,gazette(extra ordinary) dated 02/07/1998 constitute a new district specifying the head quarters at Kawardha and according to above notification District Kawardha which is at present known as (District Kabirdham) came into being existence on July 06,1998.

                                            Kabirdham is a peaceful and attractive place located on the Southern bank of river Sakri. Due to the advent of Kabir Sahib and the establishment of the seat of descendants of his disciple Dharmdas, it was named as Kabirdham. Before Damakhera, District Raipur,this was the seat of Kabir Panthis.

                                           Presently known as tehsil Kabirdham included in District Kabirdham was  as state Kawardha till the first half of 18th century. It came into existence as tehsil Kawardha in District Mandla from 1895 to 1902, in District Bilaspur from 1903 to 1911, in District Raipur from  1912 to 1948, in District Durg in 1948 and remained part of Durg upto 25/01/1973. After that from 26/01/1973 this Tehsil became part of Rajnandgaon upto July 05,1998 from the time of formation of District Rajnandgaon with the division of District Durg. Likewise, the second tehsil Pandariya  included in the district was known as Pandariya Zamindari before 1952. In 1952 Pandariya become the community block Head-Quarters in District Bilaspur. It got the status of  tehsil in 1986 and from then it remained part of District Bilaspur till July 05,1998.

                                            Both the above tehsil Head-Quarters tehsil Kabirdham and Pandariya of District Kabirdham are important from historical point of view also. Not only Kabirdham but also the place Chaura and Chhapri located at about 17 Km. from Kabirdham, which is known as Bhoramdev,is a very important place historically and archeologically. This place was the capital of Nagvanshi kings from about 9th century to 14th century.After that this came under possession of Haihayvanshi kings who were related to state Ratanpur. The Archaelogical remains of the temple and old fort constructed by these kings are still available.

 Geographical Location: -

                                                    District Kabirdham extends in 4447.05 Sq K.M. area between 21.32' to 22.28' North latitude and 80.48' to 81.48' east longitude. Boundaries of district touch Dindori in north, Bilaspur and Durg in east, Rajnandgaon in South, and District Balaghat in west. The northen and western parts are surrounded by Maikal mountain ranges of Satpura. Here the highest peak is Kesmarda in Maikal mountain which is 925 meter high , while the minimum height is 320 meter.

                                                    The central east and southern part of the district is plain, whereas the northen and western part is mountainous.Mainly Black,Kanhar and Dorsa soil is found in the district, in which Nitrogen, Alp Potash and Sulphur is available in medium quantity, whereas Zinc and Sulphur elements lack.

                                         The main rivers of the district originate generally from Maikal mountain range. Haf, Phok and Sakri rivers after emerging from north-west of the district flow towards south-east and in the end after going in District Durg fall in river Shivnath, whereas   Phen,Halon,Banjar and Jamunia rivers flowing towards west fall in river Narmada. There is no all weather rivulet except Saliha Nala in the district.

                                        The climate of District Kabirdham is temperate, where the maximum temperature in summer is 42'c and the minimum temperature in winter goes to the lowest of 15'c only,      


Back